Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mmmm....Steak

I was given a bunch of Omaha Steak meat, so grilled a Top Sirloin tonight. I'm getting pretty good at manning (womanning?) the grill with the help of a meat thermometer. I make a point to poke the meat with my finger when it hits the desired doneness, so hopefully one day I can forgo the thermometer.

My amateur steps to a perfect steak:
1. Take the meat out of the fridge & allow to rest for at least 30 minutes.
2. Season the meat. Last night I used my favorite rub, from the Kansas City Company.
3. Throw on a hot grill & leave it alone.
4. Flip & insert meat thermometer.
5. Remove from grill when temperature hits 125 degrees.
6. Rest at least 5 minutes before digging in.

The result? Medium-rare yumminess:

From Drop Box


On the side I made a salad using cherry tomatoes from my garden & a homemade vinaigrette of dijon mustard, balsalmic vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil & grated parmesan. Took some leftover baguette slices, drizzled with olive oil & a little sea salt & threw them on the grill to toast up. Then topped with fresh cracked black pepper & freshly grated parmesan. The twice-baked potato was part of the Omaha Steak package & was pretty tasty. Lots of cheese, which is never a bad thing!

From Drop Box


From Drop Box

No comments: